Sunday, August 29, 2004

Listen Sweet Thang

Just in case you are not aware
Or somehow just don’t know
I want you to be quite sure of it
how I care and need you so.

Now, please, sit right here
listen carefully to each word
I just want you to hear everything
and I need to know you heard.

Keep your eyes focused
And your ears targeted on me
That way not a syllable is lost
And every nuance you’ll see.

Okay! Are you ready?
I think its time for me to start
You are so special, my dear
You’re now deep within my heart

Words seem so shallow now
As I try to express the truth
And your bubbling personality
Goes so well with your youth

I feel so blessed and loved
When you call out my name
I only wish I knew for sure
That my words can do the same.


I’m gonna call you Sweet Thang
Sugar, cake, cookies nor a tart
Can match the flavor I taste
As I hold you close to my heart.

No matter what comes of this
If it dies or grows to a blaze
The happiness you put in me
Is the filling for my days

So, my Sweet Thang,
This is all you need to know
You are the spice of my life
And I do love you so.

Del Cano Edited August 29, 2004

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend,
Whomever your "Sweet Thang" is, I'm sure she is just as thrilled as you are!  Such a sweet, delicious write!  

Hugs!
Chris

Anonymous said...

tears? yes, tears would be appropriate. This is sooo sweet! You really should put it to song, soldier. it would be such a lovely serenade.

~Tania

Anonymous said...

Oh I loved reading this one! I love reading it again and again. What a SWEET THANG. That's the only thing I can say for this poem. Makes me smile deeply and happily :)
Love
Mia

Anonymous said...

Sweet Thang is what you
have decided to call me
I'll do my best to give it worth
I just hope you are up to
every night leaving room for
dessert.