Friday, August 27, 2004

Fight For Yourself

Dozed from fits of sleeplessnesss
and reached across the bed.
The pillow sighed its airy sound
from not supporting your head.

Out from my fog of weariness
I realized you were not here
then grimaced at the reality
you were over there, it is clear.

Over there at university hospital
In the Unit - 52 ICU.
Respirators, IVs, sedation drips,
and plenty of doctors too.

Not even wearniness would allow me
to forget just who we are.
A fighting couple for all good
battling oppression near and far.

For years you fought for everything.
Oh, so much for everyone else.
I beg you dear, continue your fight, but
today you must fight for yourself.

Edited on December 8th, 2002

 DelCano  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hear the weariness in this, my friend....and still the love shines through.  Oh, that others would have the same commitment that you do!

Hugs,
Chris

Anonymous said...

I can feel what you were feeling because I have been there