Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Pic Nic In The Rain

Your neighborhood menagery
sounds about as wild as mine
all I need do is fire up the pit
the wild bunch shows up in kind.

On Memorial Day I lit the fire
aroma was traced to my house
Samuel brought his turkey frier
Nelly with her one eared spouse.

Can't call any of them cheap
they come prepared to bite the bullet
all bring their favorite choice of meat
but side dishes, no. Got to pull it.

This time was louder than the last
started to pour down heavy with rain
tying up tarps for all of us was a blast
but no one got angry they came.

I had to get my rainsuit from the van
the others scattered to get their gear
and just as if all of this were in the plan
they showed back up with wine and beer.

Pit smoking. Turkey frying up a storm
oil bubbling over the sides in a rage
not a one seemed to give a wet darn
as if they were stuck in a warped cage.

Now, I really can't add much to this tale
other neighbors seemed to watch in disdain
while we loud talked, told lies and sailed
we had a ball with our picnic in the rain.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL!  Sounds like one helluva party!  What a fun write!

Hugs!
Chris