Monday, September 6, 2004

Page Two

Where are you going in such a hurry
passing me like I haven't moved.
When you arrive at the next stop
I'm steady on your tail groove.

Where ever you are on your way
I've been to that forsaken place.
Might just be one of the causes
of the new wrinkle on your face.

When the others were frightened
I stepped out and took the lead.
Paid the price at entry level
with children at home to feed.

Where are you rushing without me
I've already been right there.
Chained myself to their doors
to make employment more fair.

When you arrive at your destination
if you look around you might see
the stones and blocks have been laid
through sacrifice and pain from me.

You see, I already paid your tuition
I helped get you through the door.
Before they even noticed me
or even let me mop their floor.

I wonder how you'll feel
as the realization comes to you
that our fore fathers were the first
making you page 2.

When you look at me with disdain
while rushing to your suburban lair
you'll see, I'm your stepping stone,
when your nose gets out of the air.

Years before you were born
I was the Negro, the colored man.
I laid the path for you to follow
yet you hesitate to shake my hand.

Why the hell are you hurrying.
Have you forgotten I was once a lad.
I am still your kin. Grandpa, uncle,
might even be your dad.

Where ever you think you are
my foot prints have made a mark.
The one you so conveniently forget
that gave you a much better start.

Are you trying to escape from me.
What have I done to run you away.
I have only tried to lay a new path
so you could have an easier day.

Where are you going in such a hurry
passing me like I haven't moved.
When you arrive at the next stop
I'll still be right on your tail groove.

Del Cano

Edited on March 9th, 2003
 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you a-hollerin' all the way up here!  You're always page one, my friend...title page and cover....

Hugs,
Chris