Saturday, July 23, 2005

A Poem Apart

Woman, you just have to stop.
Stop this mighty incessant quest.
You know that I will follow you
Is that not a secret you've guessed.

Damn, you've hung my heart
From a limb of a mighty tree
like a feather drawn, teased
and softly whispered to me.

Watching you spread wings
Angelic and mighty broad
I melt from the luster you glow
Am lavished and so awed.

Follow you? To other worlds?
Not a second thought I need
Your beckoning finger's call
like a fulfilling planted seed.

Lady, you did not tell me
Our trip might last so long
Nor that I would hear the words
To such a sweet new love song.

I just can't miss this ride
No doubt I know I'm smitten
From mountain tops and stars
To every heaven that's written.

Arms out stretched, spinning
the sight of you atop the world
is matchless in its beauty as
you shout, swing and twirl.

I am so fortunate I can see
The wonder of your charms
But I stay just out of range,
the reach, of your loving arms.

You see, lady, I can not go
To the same special places
We can, however share our thoughts
but shun all those jealous faces.

For now, can you cut me down
From this really old tired tree
So I can rest a bit from sensations
And all this deep melancholy.

Know, wherever you might be,
I am never away too far.
I'm just a whisper, a song, a prayer,
A poem from where you are.

Del Cano 2003

No comments: