Thursday, July 29, 2004

Friend

We have been real good friends
It’s why the shock rings in my head
I was so taken off guard at your grins
And the suggestion we share a bed.

I was there for you when he died
And you, when she fell seriously ill
You must know we would have lied
could not possibly be friends still.

No. Not for the briefest time
I’d remain ashamed to admit.
Guilt is just too heavy a crime
I shudder from the mention of it.

It might just provide a thrill
To do what you suggest today
But I don’t want to run up a bill
My heart cannot afford to pay.

It’s obvious we love each other
More, in a kinship kind of way
How you could still call me brother
If we did what you asked today.

We could no longer look in her face
For the deep sin and all the sorrow.
The little tryst is not worth the disgrace
Nor the pain we’ll have tomorrow.
 
So, if you still feel you can be fair
and we stay as we were in the begin
I’m letting you know now I still care 
and I’m  proud to call you my friend.
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good decision for all involved...

Hugs!

Chris