Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I Am From The Dark Side

I am from the dark side
the step child you never saw
you walk past me in oblivion
with no expression on your jaw.

I am the one you disdain
because I really do exist.
You turn your back and ignore
time has gotten us to this.

I walk a path, at times, narrow
then quite broad and wide.
Accepted from a distance
but never by your side.

I am from the dark side.

You smile as I entertain you
dance, sing or dunk a ball.
I can tackle with a diving reach
but you keep me out the ruling hall.

You mimic my music and moves
steal all my fashions right away.
And are angered by my zeal
when I start over each day.

You know there's something there
my spirit rebounds to a glide.
I strut in knowing your confusion
cause I always refuse to hide.

I am from the dark side.

From your running position
you move cross a suburban moat.
Driving miles over hills and valleys
so you can then point and gloat.

Take away business and services
drag them with you near your lair
while you speak about my condition
reality says you just don't care.

I hang out my shingle to open shop
confounding how I could decide.
Knowing you'll drive right past me
in your sporty upscale ride.

I am from the dark side

I struggle day by day
to find a balance in my life
while you seem to ignore
my constant living strife.

Sure, I get tired and weep
but I don't allow you to see
just how lousy you really are
when you ignore the best of me.

Your denials are infamous
crumbs you serve when you decide
but I keep on reaching for that dream
the one for which you surely lied.

I am from the dark side.

My schools are ragged
funds barely reach the mark.
Neighborhoods bleak and dying
like a war zone torn and stark.

Day in and out you turn your back
not admiting you are part of the cause.
You sling negative words at me
then pass even more harsh laws.

Must I continue in my strive
knowing you'll push me aside.
Or shall I just stop in my tracts
and conclude you'll always deny

I am from "Your" dark side.

Del Cano 2006 November

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting
nat

Anonymous said...

"I walk a path, at times, narrow
then quite broad and wide.
Accepted from a distance
but never by your side."

I am glad to see you have expressed this issue through your poetry. If I had a magic wand I would change the world ... alas ... I do not have a wand or any superhuman power other than the pen - but you have used yours and I am proud of you.
Dianna  

Anonymous said...

In my walk of life.............Not many wants to hear about my"dark side"..even though mine may be different than yours but also the same. Bam