Wednesday, September 27, 2006

WE,THE PEOPLE

Where do I fit in this picture
thought I am,
WE THE PEOPLE
yet, seems every body
including Iraq, Iran, Israel,
the whole world, seems
more important than me.
 
Where do I fit in this scene
watching money flow freely
while I am being told I am not
qualified.
 
Oh, need I be a liar like some who
embezzle and plan unlawful stuff
or might I need to help write a drug bill
which does not allow my government to
negotiate with companies to save
WE THE PEOPLE money on drugs.
 
Where do I fit in this picture? I am an
outsider here in my home.
I call my government and the message
tells me to push #1 if I speak English.
Why do "I" need to push buttons?
Thought I was WE THE PEOPLE.
 
Find so many obstacles when I need help
Told me I had to wait while WE THE PEOPLE
help establish a working democracy in Iraq.
I must wait till my neighbors recover from their
trips to Iraq while they keep their fingers crossed
in not being victims of that back door draft
and ordered to return. 
 
When I take the recent veteran to the hospital
to get help for ailments since returning home
he is told its in his mind.
Boils and blisters on his skin are mental?
Is there something wrong with my eyes too?
This is how we support the troops?
Where is WE THE PEOPLE?
 
Have we buried our heads behind an image
which no longer exist or closed our eyes
to the reality which we live under?
Has terrorism put scabs on our hearts
misdirecting our senses?
Where are WE THE POEPLE?
 
Del Cano 2006 September

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on Spencer!..right on!

Gem~
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours/entries/2006/09/26/a-confession-about-me...../1239

Anonymous said...

That is really TRUE Spencer, and sad.. Bam

Anonymous said...

You have written many a poem sire but this one means more to me than all of them put together.
Spence - I respect you and salute you.
Dianna