Tuesday, October 4, 2005

The Delta Moans

Collard greens
smoked neck bones
a common thread
for Delta's moans.

Rivers flowing south
depositing silt
brings with it traditions
that do not wilt.

Sweet potato pies
buttered cornbread
grandma's legacy
stuck in my head.

All the way from slavery
way past Jim Crow
keeping traditions
won't let them go.

Southern fried catfish
smothered chicken delight
cooked in a cast iron  skillet
heating just right.

Blackeyed peas
hamhocks afloat
allows the Delta
to keep its bloat.

Shanti shacks
hold back the rain
storms come and go
then return again.

Not much to  save
not a lot can we use
the Delta is definately
home to the blues.

Now every tradition
heard in Delta's moans
causes me to think
my grandma groans.

Del Cano 2005 Oct

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.  So sorry your heart is heavy with all this stuff hon'. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

My heart is not sad. Just many thoughts of down south as a result of the Hurricanes. Hard for me to turn it all loose. It  stays live inside me.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Spencer

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!
V

Anonymous said...

I love this one...it causes me to cry.