Thursday, October 6, 2005

Cast Iron Skillet

Grandma had some china
passed down from before
which sat on a shelf
just opposite the door.

Her dollies, starched
collecting gifts for years.
Each with a story attached
draped proudly in tears.

Yet, when grandma died
I didn't ask for her pottery.
Getting her cast iron skillet
to me, like hitting the lottery.

No better memory of her
than she cooking as if for a billet.
Stiring, sprinkling, shaking food
magically in that cast iron skillet.

Del Cano 2005 Oct
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this.  Of all my grandma's stuff, I only want two things.  Her dad's diaries, and her mom's wooden dough bowl. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

I love this.  I have my grandmother's large and small cast iron skillets and her corn pone pan.  From my other grandmother, one of my favorite things is the large aluminum bowl she always used for snapping beans and hulling peas.  I can still see her sitting on her front porch with this bowl tucked between her knees, talking to us kids and getting ready for dinner.  It's a treasure.

Anonymous said...

Oh my southern Grandma always used the black iron pans...my Mom has them now and one day they will be mine...just the memories of the meals that have been cooked in them is a story in its self. I have a hand crocheted bedspread that was done out of the white strings that they used to tie tabacco with...my great grandmother made it for my grandma and she gave it to me...I touch it and I am connected to these ladies in my life...I love your poem....Sandi