Sunday, September 18, 2005

Ole Southern Eatin Man

So tired of baked chicken
count tofu as something fake.
I don't mind tuna salad
but today I crave a steak.

Creamed beef might get by
for more palatable fair I beg.
Just a few grits and a little butter
topped with a soft fried egg.

Baked halibut for some will suffice.
I've heard it called a great dish.
For my taste buds nothins better
than deep southern fried catfish.

I eat broccoli, asparagus and such
even, at times brussel sprouts.
A pot of pinto beans and neck bones
will surely bring out the shouts.

Wheat germ bread is okay
pumpernickel, white, even rye
but a pan of buttered cornbread surely
satisfies the taste buds' eye.

Some stuff just may be cool
frozen yogurt is alright
but what's wrong with a scoop of ice cream
at least every other night.

Crumpets and tea might be sweet
or dessert I might just walk by
but how can you expect me to give up
both apple and sweet potato pie.

Fruit coctail and ginger snaps
don't take too long to get old.
An occasional pinch of ambrosia
has never hurt a soul.

Okay, okay, okay!

I watch my diet like I'm suppose
so please don't misunderstand.
Give me just a little slack, cause
I'm just an ole Southern Eatin Man.

Del Cano 2002 Nov



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!  Dang, you made me hungry.

Anonymous said...

This had me smiling throughout:). Loved it. Very cute write. Oh man am I hungry now. Damn!!!!!!!!!! BTW I love sweet potatoe pie:)
Love
Mia

Anonymous said...

My southern grandma could make a mean sweet potatoe pie...yummy. She also had a dish that she did with fresh grown string beans, put some bacon in, and some crushed tomatoes...oh lord, corn bread - hey you got me going. Now I'm going to have to cook..LOL...Sandi

Anonymous said...

but a pan of buttered cornbread surely



When I was 1 years old my grandma married my grandpa (in 1968) and although my blood grandpas are still alive HE was the only man I EVER considered my Grandfather.  This, in itself, is not an amazing thing....what is amazing is that my grandpa was a black man born in the bayuo of LA and could cook the best black-eyed peas, ham bones and sweet corn bread anywhere.  In 1968 white women and black men did not marry....but to this little girl I was ten before I ever knew what racism was.  I learned it in school, not home.  

Your poem made me cry and miss my only true grandpa.

He helped raise me.  I shall love him always.  Alvin Sampson.