Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Nature's True Fun

Pelicans covered the sand barge
turtles waited to cross the road.
Nearer the water heard a belch
turned out to be a giant toad.

Casted out toward the center
just as the channel gets deep.
Tossed back a few small ones
should see what I chose to keep.

A monster river buffalo
thought it had swiped my line.
Reeling and tugging a few minutes
damn, it was fat and fine. 

Another tried to slip away
startled I found myself jammed.
Shadow boxed and wrestled
dug deep for the fisherman I am.

What a blast as they broke the surface
water splashing in a heavy wave.
The net barely covered the first
but both I was able to save.

Silver blue and snow white cranes
kept an eye on the happenings near.
As the fish were drug from the water
seemed they all smiled a cheer.

Now tired from the long battles
packed my gear and bid them goodbye.
All the birds and animals seemed a crowd
as I drove off with tears in my eyes.

So damn fortunate to have shared
in so much of nature's true fun.
And just as filling, the experience
sharing the river with the morning sun.

Del Cano 2007 April

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have got to tell you I just loved this one and the pictures certainly depicit the joy you experienced this day in your elements.  Am going to have to share this one with my husband because you were so speaking his language.  

Blessing to you,

    Marlene - A Poet's Point of View
    http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

Throw this big one back Spencer.  It may have been great fun for you in the catching of them, but once caught then there is the cleaning and keeping of them, think about all the work it will take, naw... I say make it easy on yourself, throw this big one back.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written and the pix are great!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Marlene, so good to see you around. Yeah, tell hubby to come on lets go fishing.
Dianna, damn good to hear from you. Know you been busy.

Udersiranme- LOL  No way would I toss it back. Lets me know you are not a river fisherman. All you gotta do is hang it up. Skin it and then filet it. I don't need to gut it. Got two huge filets from the big one and it tasted much better than I had predicted. Yes, still got some in the freezer after giving some away. One must have good knives to make the job easier. Nope, I don't have the problems you anticipate.

Thanks and hugs to all.

Spencer

Anonymous said...


Great picture Spencer.  Huge fish.  Going to taste good all spiced up and fried.
                                                                     Myke

Anonymous said...

Wow!  That is some fish, you should really put more pics of yourself in your journal...you are so very handsome!!!