Thursday, November 23, 2006

Empty Thanksgiving

I must chuckle to myself
turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes
I say to hell with them all
want to pluck you like cherry tomatoes.

Damn the pumpkin pie
and the bean salad as well
I need me some you
can't you easily tell.

Kinfolk talking, kids at play
chattering 'bout the year's stuff
My mind wandering to you
just can't seem to get enough.

You are with me in mind
as I stutter with words of praise
Nothing said at the gathering
compares with how you raise.

Seemed a lost sort of cause
me, thrust as the star of the show.
If I only knew where you were
I'd surely excuse myself and go.

Where are you "Sweet Thang"
send me a glimmer of your place.
Needing you to touch me
and bring that smile back on my face.

Nothing is like this ache
the one buried deep inside
with passionate thoughts of you
making me beam with pride.

Oh, baby, smile a star for me
whisper that you need me too.
This damn Thanksgiving Day
empty without sharing with you.

Del Cano 2006 November

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.......a different side of Thanksgiving............

Anonymous said...

very wistful Spencer..and sad too. Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

Very sweet, Spencer- hope your holiday was real fine....

Anonymous said...

I want to hear you tell a story, about fishing long ago.
I want to read your awesome poetry about yourself you know.
About a deep down honest yearning for things you'd like to do.
Like spending time alone in nature where there a many different views.

I really do like your poetry and I so appreciated you writing your poem about fishing in my journal on the Mississippi River.

Marlene - A Poet's Point of View
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry